HomeCommentBritish boxing issues Haye, Chisora threat

British boxing issues Haye, Chisora threat

The British Boxing Board of Control is seething at Frank Warren’s announcement on Tuesday that the London pair will meet in the ring under the auspices of the Luxembourg Boxing Federation at West Ham United’s Upton Park on July 14.

In a strongly worded statement, the BBBC blasted the Luxembourg organisation for sanctioning the fight between two men without licences and vowed to expel anyone involved in the bill, sparing no-one, from promoters to boxers and officials.

It read: “Those behind this proposal are not concerned with the interests of the sport of professional boxing. Any member who participates in such a promotion would bring the sport of boxing into disrepute and would wholly undermine the authority of the British Boxing Board of Control.”

It said the BBBC does not approve of such a promotion taking place within its jurisdiction and will not supply any officials to officiate, adding: “For the avoidance of doubt, any member of the British Boxing Board of Control who participates in any way in such a promotion will be deemed to have terminated his/her membership.”

The stance effectively pits the organisation against Warren, the most powerful promoter in British boxing.

While he is not officially the fight’s promoter, he has played a key part in everything from negotiations to this week’s confirmation that two men who shamefully brawled at a press conference in Munich in February will be allowed to profit off the back of the substantial interest their  antics generated.
It was reported that 17 000 tickets for the fight had been sold on Wednesday night.

Chisora, who is promoted by Warren, had his licence withdrawn by the BBBC in March and is understood to have paid around £350 000 in legal costs and fines for his part in the scrap and the appalling behaviour that preceded his world title fight against WBC champion Vitali Klitschko on February 18.
Haye  had retired by the time of the brawl and so had no licence to revoke, but the exploitation of European Union freedom of trade laws means both men can fight in the UK with the permission of the Luxembourg organisation.

Sportsmail understands the BBBC intends to consult with the Government to see if any further action can be taken against those staging the fight.

It is not yet clear how effective their expulsion threat will prove to be, especially as the utilisation of the Luxembourg Boxing Federation will surely pave the way for other European boxing authorities to operate in Britain, and there is now a fear in the boxing community that the sport could descend into chaos.

Former two-weight world champion Ricky Hatton told Sportsmail: “Legally, Frank, Dereck and David have done nothing wrong and I sure want to see the fight.

“But I think the BBBC have every right to feel a bit cheesed off.”

David Price, who will fight for the British heavyweight title against Sam Sexton on May 19, said: “You want to have a board that’s in charge and has authority and you have to say this fight, and the stuff with the licences, means the board doesn’t have any real power now. That’s not really right.”
Frank Warren declined an invitation to comment.— DailyMail.

Previous articleSyria’s al-Assad defined by violence
Next articleD

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading