Moyo in bid to block Daily News, again!

Staff Writer

INFORMATION minister Jona-than Moyo and the Media and Information Commission yesterday filed papers in the High Court seeking to block the publication of the Daily News which bounced back yester

day.


The MIC contends that the titles in the Associated Newspapers of Zimbabwe (ANZ) stable cannot publish without a licence. On the other hand Moyo avers that the papers cannot publish because their journalists are not accredited.


Justice Tendai Uchena on Wednesday ruled that the ANZ should continue with its normal operations and that the police should not interfere with the activities of the publishing house.


The MIC has already been declared improperly constituted by a court, which renders its decisions legally questionable.


ANZ corporate affairs director Gugulethu Moyo told the Zimbabwe Independent that the company was facing logistical problems.


“We have only a few computers in the newsroom at the moment,” said Moyo.


“The police have not returned most of the computers that they took as exhibits after we published our paper in September. The matter is different from the one we had been challenging because this one is a criminal matter,” she said.


Moyo said the production side had also been affected by the absence of computers.


“We do not have our subscription base and advertising software and once the paper gets bigger, we will experience serious problems,” she said.

Meanwhile the MIC is considering two applications for daily newspapers’ licences, the Independent established this week.


MIC executive chairman Tafataona Mahoso this week confirmed receiving applications but would not give details.


“We have about three projects and two of them are applications for dailies,” said Mahoso. “It would be improper to tell you who their principals are.”

Top