Minister threatens to sue prosecutor

STATE Security minister Didymus Mutasa has threatened to sue Manicaland area prosecutor and the Zimbabwe Independent  over the publication of statements made in an open court last week.

In a letter through his lawyers, Antonio and Associates, dated August 9 and addres

sed to Levison Chikafu, Mutasa said the prosecutor defamed him when he said in open court that; “Didymus Mutasa tampered with the justice system. What he did was unlawful. The fact that he has not been brought to trial does not mean that he is not coming… Mutasa is a powerful person…his wings must be clipped to the greatest extent.”

Mutasa demanded an apology from both Chikafu and the Independent accusing the paper of not seeking his side of the story.

He also threatened to sue James Kaunye as well as Independent publishers and its distributors if they did not retract the story.

The minister is on record saying he will not speak to this paper regarding the case.

As reported on June 2, Mutasa said: “I do not want to talk to you. Last week you wrote that (AG Sobusa) Gula-Ndebele would be taking Chinamasa to court and I may be the next one. What is news about it? Do you think it’s good news?”

Two weeks ago magistrates in Rusape refused to preside over Justice minister Patrick Chinamasa’s attempt to defeat the course of justice trial alleging that Mutasa had accused them of being MDC members.

A retired magistrate Phenias Chipopoteke had to take over the case.

In court, Chikafu said Mutasa had subverted the laws of the country and that justice would be done.

Mutasa alleges that Chikafu’s statements imputed that he “is corrupt, that he is a common criminal and an abuser of his power as a minister”. — Staff Writer.