Dynamos disown ‘head coach’

Darlington Majonga

DYNAMOS chairman Morrison Sifelani has disowned David George as the head coach of the club, saying he had only learnt about the mentor’s appointment from the “speculative press

”.


“It’s totally wrong to say George is the coach because I never said that,” Sifelani told IndependentSport yesterday.


Sifelani said Sunday Chidzambwa was the technical director as well as head coach, not George, who he said was among several other former Dynamos players who were giving voluntary service to the club.


“It’s the speculative press which was pushing George into the position, or it’s him who was going to the media. He’s among many other former players who are voluntarily helping us in our rebuilding exercise and they all don’t have salaries or contracts,” Sifelani said.


Sifelani’s claims contradict widely held “assumptions” that George had been appointed the club’s head coach, with July Sharara supposedly coming in as his assistant.


Speculation was rife this week that George would be fired as “head coach” after a string of poor results Dynamos have endured. But George this week attended Dynamos’ training sessions although IndependentSport could not establish from him what his role was.


George has been conspicuous by his absence at Dynamos’ last two league matches, while he also observed action from the terraces during two earlier games. He last sat on the bench when Dynamos were humiliated 0-5 by Motor Action at Rufaro last month.


However, Sifelani says there would be changes to the coaching structure, although he could not divulge further details. The only other appointment that Sifelani confirmed is that of team manager, held by Callisto Pasuwa, who he said was being groomed and was likely to be sent to Latin America for further training.


“We’ve got rid of some people. You will definitely see changes with regards to the coaching department, but all I can say now is that Sunday is in charge and the rest are assistants,” Sifelani.


Eric Aisam, one of the former players who was in charge of the Dynamos reserve side, was summarily dismissed this week after a clash with Sifelani that raised fears all was not well at the club.


“Aisam is no longer part of us. That’s all I can say,” Sifelani said.

Insiders at Dynamos claim that Aisam was purged after he sided with players who were threatening to boycott a fixture against Monomotapa last Sunday over outstanding signing-on fees.


Dynamos players did not train on Tuesday, but Sifelani said it was because a meeting he had requested with players had forced the cancellation of the day’s session.


“It’s utter nonsense for anyone to say players boycotted training. I asked for a meeting with the players and the coaches eventually gave the players the day off because the meeting took longer than we expected,” Sifelani claimed.


Sifelani said reports that players were disgruntled over their outstanding signing-on fees and allowances were misconstrued by “our enemies who are jealous of the progress we are making and are paying the press to destroy us”.


However, he admitted the players were still owed huge amounts of money. “We still owe them a lot, but we’ve made a commitment to pay them as and when we get the money,” Sifelani said.


“At the moment we don’t have the money, and remember we are rebuilding the club from nowhere. The club was over $560 million in debt, but we have fought hard and things will be fine one day,” he added.


Sifelani said the sponsorship Dynamos were getting from tobacco concern Savanna was not enough not only for the players but other day-to-day running costs as well.


“The sponsorship deal we clinched is misunderstood by the public and the media too. Let me make it clear that Savanna offered $5 billion sponsorship over 36 months, and we are getting money from them in tranches of about $100 million per month,” the chairman said.


Sifelani said the deal they had entered with South African telecoms company Xylocom was not monetary, but “was in kind, including playing kits”.


Sifelani said he was not worried about Dynamos’ poor form. “Who said we expected results? Rebuilding is a painstaking exercise and it’s a long-term thing we’re on,” he said.


“We just have to be patient. It doesn’t happen overnight and I can tell you our standard of play is improving. You will see the results.”

Top