A HARARE-BASED cement company Conscious Holdings (Pvt) was dragged to court yesterday for violating the Trade Measures Act after being caught underweighting its product.
The complainant in the case was the State represented by Lawson Chogugudza from the Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP).
The accused was Conscious Holdings Company represented by Peterson Karimbika from Hatcliffe Extension, Borrowdale, Harare.
Karimbika appeared before Harare magistrate Evelyn Mashavakure and Thomas Chanakira prosecuted.
Karimbika, who is denying the charges was remanded out of custody to April 14 for trial.
According to the State, sometime in February, Chogogudza received a tip-off that the company was selling underweight cement.
A search was conducted and it was revealed that some bags of cement weighed less than the standard 50kg.
The cement was seized and will be used as exhibits.
- Harare businesswoman turns heat on police CCU over 'bias'
- Letter to my people: Criminals are hiding in plain sight
- Crime tech: Technology can eradicate corruption
- UZ situation, a mere tip of the iceberg
- Follow us on Twitter @NewsDayZimbabwe