Charamba sends Gamecocks top as Sheasham, Herentals share spoils

Chicken Inn . . . . . . (0)1

Black Rhinos . . . . . (0)0

MICHAEL Charamba's 61st minute goal was enough to hand Chicken Inn FC the maximum points as the Gamecocks shot to the top of the Castle Lager Premier Soccer League standings after edging a struggling Black Rhinos at Luveve Stadium.

Charamba benefited from a rebound after Clive Augusto had his shot blocked before controlling and tucking the ball into the top corner and beating a motionless Panashe Chirimanyemba.

The goalkeeper had kept Rhinos in the game with numerous saves throughout the game, but he seemed to have made it easy for Charamba.

The first real chance fell to Malvern Hwata, who thought he had thrust the Gamecocks into the lead after 20 minutes from a Brian Muza pass, but his effort was ruled out for offside.

Rhinos manufactured a chance of their own in the 55 minutes, but Darren Dematsika hit the side net after he received a pass from the lively Allan Gahadzikwa.

Brighton Ncube could have made it safe for Chicken Inn in added time, but he blazed over after outpacing the Rhinos defence.

Rhinos remained at the bottom, leaving Saul Chaminuka with all the work to do to move them up the ladder.

Alarm bells are already ringing for John Nyikadzino at Sheasham as they continued with their winless streak when they were held to a goalless draw by Herentals at Bata Stadium in Gweru yesterday.

Fans were left singing 'Nyikadzino watiuraya' in chorus after the Construction Boys fired blanks yet again on their homecoming.

They started off brightly but again, their poor conversion rate saw them failing to beat the Harare-based side, Herentals, that struggled to knit consecutive passes especially in the first half.

Nyikadzino, however, remained defiant that his men will pick up some momentum in the next fixtures.

"The supporters are justified in doing that, we are playing at home and fail to win so you would expect that from the supporters," Nyikadzino said.

The Gweru-based side has collected 11 points in 11 matches, a huge far cry for a club that invested half a million in reviving Bata stadium.

Nyikadzino's men launched attack after attack, with Physwell Madhazi coming near twice in the opening 20 minutes.

Midfielder David Mangesi tried his luck from distance before the break but his long range effort went over the bar.

For Herentals, it was Tinotenda Benza who was lively for the visitors but found himself outnumbered on most occasions.

Tanaka Chidhobha got Sheasham's best chance of the second half, with a well taken volley from outside the box but it was tipped over the bar by goalkeeper Nevermind Antonio.

Herentals gaffer Kumbirai Mutiwekuziva was satisfied with the point picked away from home.

"Where we are coming from, I would take the point with a positive mind," Mutiwekuziwa said.


Cranborne Bullets 2-1 Caps United

Related Topics