THE Employers’ Confederation of Zimbabwe (Emcoz) will hold an urgent meeting in Harare on Wednesday next week with industrialists on the retrenchment guidelines set by Labour minister Priscah Mupfumira and come up with a formal response to the set requirements, businessdigest has learnt.
Concerned by the increasing frequency of retrenchments, Mupfumira said the process to approve retrenchment applications will be more stringent as the ministry will need to look at company’s salary structures, particularly executives and management remuneration.
In line with the requirements, companies are required to provide details of fees the board of directors get and the difference in the wage bill after the retrenchment exercise has been implemented.
Emcoz executive director John Mufukare said the breakfast meeting will involve all employers to discuss the issue at length with the feeling being that the new guidelines are in contradiction with last year’s agreed measures to at the Tripartite Negotiating Forum to expedite retrenchments.
“We want to have a meeting for all employers so that we can come up with a formal position on the issue,” Mufukare said. “The TNF in an extraordinary meeting on August 2014 agreed on measures to expedite the retrenchment processes. The Retrenchment Board has since been given instructions which have the effect of shifting the goal posts that were agreed at TNF. To this end, employers need to urgently consult on the new measures in order to come up with an appropriate response.”
Presentations at the meeting will be made the employers’ representative on the Retrenchment Board, Isaac Mazanhi and labour law specialist George Makings.
Mufukare said they had agreed at the TNF meeting held on May 18 this year that they would discuss the issue after the International Labour Organisation meeting which was held in Geneva Switzerland recently.
The development comes at a time when more than 1000 workers from more than 60 companies have been retrenched in the first quarter of 2015.