THE Zanu PF factional battles in Mashonaland Central manifesting themselves in the provincial youth executive ahead of the youth congress in August, has taken a new twist after Mujubheki Mawodzeka —whom the old executive passed a vote of no confidence in — was ironically appointed acting chairman last week.
Three youth members, provincial chairperson Godfrey Tsenengamu, his secretary for administration Kudakwashe Sintu and youth executive member Caleb Karima, who were instrumental in the passing of a vote of no confidence in Mawodzeka, were suspended last month for six months each.
The trio is close to politburo member Saviour Kasukuwere and those aligned to them believe their suspension is meant to ensure they miss the crucial Zanu PF youth conference in August.
Mawodzeka is linked to Vice-President Joice Mujuru, who does not see eye to eye with Kasukuwere.
The Mashonaland Central provincial leadership however accuses the trio of bringing the party into disrepute by failing to observe party rules and procedures among other things, while also promoting factionalism.
They are accused of refusing to appear before a hearing to establish why a vote of no confidence was passed on Mawodzeka in May. Mawodzeka appealed to the provincial disciplinary committee prompting the committee to invite the youth executive to a hearing on June 16, which they failed to attend — starting a process which eventually led to their suspension.
Their suspension means they will not take part in the youth congress or be involved in the nomination process.
The provincial youth executive met at the party headquarters at the show grounds in Bindura on Thursday and elevated Mawodzeka to be the provincial chair, until the finalisation of the trio’s case. Stanlaus Mugari was elevated to the post of secretary for administration while a Jonga was elected executive member.
Officials close to the trio insist the meeting was illegal as there was no quorum, an allegation denied by those supportive of the action.
Officials aligned to the suspended officials also said provincial chairperson Luke Mushore had chaired the meeting, which was unconstitutional. The pro-Mujuru camp has denied this.
“A total of 21 provincial youth executive members of the 37 who were supposed to attend were present.
The provincial youth executive consists of 40 people but three were suspended. Everything was in order because a simple majority is needed,” said a youth member from Mashonaland Central.
“Before the meeting, Mushore addressed us and told us to follow the constitution before leaving. He knows the procedure and would not be so foolish to do something unconstitutional.
“We have gathered though that those aligned to Kasukuwere were mobilising people to shun the meeting, but it did not work as some officials including political commissar Isaiah Mandaza, who is in their faction, came.”
The new youth executive’s immediate task is to organise a provincial youth conference slated for July 25 and 26 where Zanu PF secretary for administration Didymus Mutasa will be the guest of honour. Mutasa is in Mujuru’s camp and is campaigning for the national chairmanship.
Tsenengamu refused to comment saying: “I am not in a position to comment on party issues since I have been suspended and my matter is before the national chairman of our party Zanu PF, so I can’t undermine his authority.”