CELEBRITIES and US President Barack Obama have taken to Twitter to share their bemusement, appreciation and befuddlement at legendary Hollywood actor and director Clint Eastwood’s speech at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Florida last Thursday.
Report by AP
Eastwood was revealed as the Republican Party’s “mystery guest speaker” at the Convention to formally announce Mitt Romney as their candidate for the upcoming US election.
During his odd speech, the 82-year-old star proceeded to have a conversation with an invisible Obama in an empty chair, chastising the president for the country’s high unemployment rate and growing national debt.
Some of the celeb tweets:
- “This seat’s taken.” — President Barack Obama, accompanied by a photo of the back of his chair with him sitting in it.
- “Clint Eastwood on the phone with Obama now: ‘It all went according to plan, sir.’ #RNC #GOP2012” — Chris Rock
- “Clint Eastwood’s RNC speech was to imaginary Obama in an empty chair. I’m drafting a DNC speech to imaginary Romney in an empty factory.” — Star Trek actor George Takei @GeorgeTakei
- “Woken up to excited chatter in the US. Apparently Clint Eastwood had an argument with an empty chair regarding its political standpoint.” — British actor Simon Pegg @simonpegg
- “Clint Eastwood was talking to an empty chair at the RNC…No, that’s not the set up to a joke. It’s not even a joke.” — The Newsroom actress Olivia Munn @oliviamunn