Hussey has been ruled out of the remainder of the ongoing seven-match series against England with fellow Western Australian left-hander Shaun Marsh replacing him for the next three games.
The 35-year-old suffered the injury while running between wickets late in Sunday’s six-wicket victory at the MCG, although he batted on albeit in some discomfort.
The injury was not expected to be serious at the time and Cricket Australia (CA) even named Hussey in their 15-man squad for the World Cup on Tuesday.
But his place is now in jeopardy in what would be a major blow for the reigning world champions following his impressive Australian summer with the bat.
“Michael Hussey injured his left hamstring during the first ODI versus England,” Australia team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said.
“Whilst the injury appeared to be minor at the time and soon after the game, scans have since revealed that he has avulsed one of the hamstring tendons from the attachment point at the inner side of his knee.
“As such, Michael had corrective surgery today. The recovery time and availability for the ICC World Cup will be dependent on his progress with the rehabilitation program in the coming weeks”.
Chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch confirmed Marsh, who has 29 ODI caps, would now fly to Hobart for Friday’s second match in the series, with the potential of at least three matches to prove his place for the World Cup should Hussey be ruled out.
It is unclear whether CA will choose to give another player their chance following those three games, with Callum Ferguson a possible candidate should that be the case.
“Shaun can bat at the top of the order and also in the middle order if required,” Hilditch said. “Shaun showed against England at Lord’s earlier this year that he has the ability to win an ODI game with the bat and this gives him another opportunity for Australia”.
Hussey’s problem adds to Australia’s batting concerns with skipper Ricky Ponting also out for the current series against England with the broken finger he suffered during the Ashes.
Ponting was named to lead a squad that includes eight players who were part of the team that won a third consecutive World Cup four years ago, including quicks Brett Lee and Shaun Tait.
The most notable omission was paceman Peter Siddle, who was overlooked in favour of fellow Victorian all-rounder John Hastings despite the latter making just two ODI appearances.
Maligned off-spinner Nathan Hauritz was also given a recall to Australian colours after he was overlooked for the Ashes.
Hauritz admitted he was relieved to get the nod with Xavier Doherty, who replaced him in the original Ashes squad, this time missing out.
“There were still thoughts in the back of my head that it might not happen,” Hauritz said. “It’s definitely a great deal of relief to be selected,” he said.
“Generally it’s not good news but the last week it has been good news from the selectors. It’s a like a phone call you get from your mother, sometimes it’s bad news, sometimes it’s good.
“Obviously it was disappointing not to be part of that Ashes but it’s fantastic to be part of the World Cup squad. I’m extremely excited”.
Australia World Cup squad
Ricky Ponting (c), Michael Clarke (vc), Doug Bollinger, Brad Haddin (wkt), John Hastings, Nathan Hauritz, David Hussey, Mike Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Tim Paine (wkt), Steve Smith, Shaun Tait, Shane Watson — Dailymail.