I am a grower who does the following:
- Pay for the soil to be tested to make sure that I apply the correct fertilisers,
- Buy diesel for ploughing, discing, ridging, spraying chemicals and for harvesting,
- I buy seed,
- I pay for the labour, electricity for irrigation,
- I pay Zinwa for the irrigation water,
- I tend the crop for nearly four months before I get any returns.
- I then buy packaging and pay the transporter to deliver to “Spud”’s retailer.
The total cost to me per pocket is US$4,50 and I sell at US$7,50 and get a return of US$3 after a four month wait but “Spud”’s retailer sells for US$12-15 and makes between US$4,5 to $7,50 within a week.
Who is ripping who off?