HomeSportAccount Of Dynamos Violence

Account Of Dynamos Violence

WHAT was supposed to be an appointment to probe the Dynamos Football Club breakaway board turned into an encounter that looked more like an episode from the political campaign in the countdown to the June 27 presidential election run-off.


The battle for control of the popular Harare club turned nasty this week when an organised mob descended on the club’s headquarters in Eastlea on Tuesday, attacking and seriously injuring members of the George Shaya-led faction which was elected as the club’s new board of directors following the disbandment of the one chaired by Richard Chiminya.

The vicious ambush was witnessed by this reporter and shell-shocked occupants of houses surrounding 18 Buckingham Road, Eastlea, where the Dynamos headquarters is.

IndependentSport had gone to the offices at the invitation of the new board’s secretary, Earnest Kamba, who wanted to unveil the board’s roadmap for the club following its appointment by the electoral college.

Fortunately this reporter did not enter the premises at the last minute sensing danger after spotting the gang, estimated to be around 70 as they approached from the right side of Buckingham Road.

Armed with iron bars, knob-kerries, baseball bats and other dangerous objects, the assailants scaled the security fence from all angles of the premises and started assaulting anyone in sight with weapons and fists.

Guards and grounds staff were assaulted and sustained severe injuries. One of the guards had part of his left ear severed.

One of the victims whose skull was fractured is said to be in a critical condition.

Also assaulted were Kamba and Shaya’s vice, Patrick Dzvene, who is well into his seventies.

Those who survived the attack hid inside closets.

After the attackers fled a police response unit which arrived late, the premises and office floors resembled a war zone with blood all over.

The police were not able to make any arrests on the scene, but ferried the injured to hospital.

Media reports say 40 youths were later arrested.

Tawanda Murerekwa, the management secretary for the Chiminya group, was also arrested.

Murerekwa, who arrived at the scene as the blitz died down, was attacked by a weeping and seriously-wounded victim in retaliation.

The man was restrained by police. Murerekwa drove away with police officers in his car.

The Shaya group is accusing the rival faction of sponsoring the attack.

Meanwhile, the High Court in Harare on Wednesday reserved judgement in an application in which Chiminya is seeking to block the Shaya-led group from assuming total control of the perenially-troubled Harare club.

By Enock Muchinjo





Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading