Dynamos pay row rages on

Darlington Majonga



THE Dynamos bonus dispute is far from over although the club’s treasurer yesterday claimed they had given in to the players’ demands.
ONG>


The players’ threat to boycott their Premiership match against Shooting Stars on Sunday remains after it emerged the club’s management had not met the players’ demands.


Soon after beating Highlanders 2-1 to lift the CBZ FA Cup at Barbourfields last Sunday, the Dynamos players refused to fly back home as they pressed for $7 billion of the $11 billion prize money.


The players were also demanding $250 million each as winning bonuses from the club’s own account.


Simon Sachiti, Dynamos’ acting treasurer, yesterday claimed the management had paid out to the players’ accounts more than what they had demanded.


He however refused to disclose the figures.


“We have given them what they demanded,” Sachiti said. “In fact, it’s more than what they wanted.”


Sachiti said the club’s executive was expecting feedback from team manager Nyika Chifamba this morning if the players were happy with the bonuses.


“Normally we do transfers from our account as winning bonuses and we have also done so with their share of the prize money. We are now waiting to hear from the team manager what the players say,” Sachiti said.


Chifamba, in a separate interview, was however singing a different song as he revealed that the management had not honoured the players’ demands yet.


“The position of the club has not changed,” Chifamba said. “When I addressed the players I told them what they had been offered, which is $5billion of the prize money and $2 billion as the normal winning bonuses which they are supposed to share.”


Chifamba said the players were still not happy but hoped a compromise would be reached.


“They want a little bit more, but they should understand the club has to remain with some money as we will be involved in Africa next year,” he said.


“We will try to convince them that the club should remain financially healthy, but at the same time the club will go ahead with consultations up to the board level to find common ground with the players.”


A senior Dynamos player said there was serious mistrust between the players and management, who are suspected of misusing funds.


“The club is not taking our welfare seriously,” the player, who preferred anonymity for fear of victimization. “It’s not that we are greedy but we believe we deserve better if not fair treatment for our efforts from the management who might be abusing funds.


“It’s still possible that the match against Shooting Stars might not go ahead. But even if we play, we are not happy at all and will press on for what we rightly deserve.”


In turn, the Dynamos management suspects the players are being goaded to rebel by a “third force”.


“I can’t divulge what we have found out so far and what we are going to do, but we know the players are not doing this on their own,” Sachiti said. “There are outside forces who want to destroy Dynamos.”


The bonus standoff is the third to rock Dynamos in as two months.


The players last month threatened to boycott a league match against Motor Action until their winning bonuses were reviewed. They also walked out of training the following week as they prepared to face Masvingo United.


Dynamos are on the verge of clinching their first Premiership title in a decade.


With three matches to go, they lead second-placed Highlanders by four points.


There are fears the off-field squabbles could scatter Dynamos’ dreams.

Top