HARARE City Council will once again miss the deadline to submit its annual budget for approval by its parent ministry, the Zimbabwe Independent heard this week.
Highly placed sources at Town House said council was still in the process of compiling the estimates figures. Under normal circumstances the budget should have passed through the processes of stakeholder consultation and be ready for presentation to the Local Government ministry for approval.
“Council have not even started consulting stakeholders,” the sources said this week. “After consultations and compilation of estimates, Council would have to advertise the budget and wait for a month to receive objections from stakeholders.”
Last month Local Government minister Ignatius Chombo said all local authorities were expected to have submitted their budgets to the ministry by October 31.
Meanwhile, the Sekesai Makwavarara-led commission running the affairs of the city has approved a $2 trillion revised budget for the year 2005 which would see all rates increase by at least 100%. The increases would be effected at the beginning of November and at the beginning of next year.
Proposed increases advertised in the Herald yesterday show rentals for houses in the high-density suburbs rising from $70 000 to $120 000 in November, then to $204 000 at the beginning of the year.
Burial expenses are expected to rise from the current $500 000 to $881 500 and $1,4 million by November and the beginning of the year respectively.
The commission have also approved the hiking of hospital fees from the current $40 000 to $80 000 by November. They jump to $200 000 by January next year.
For all other rates and services the commission has approved a minimum 100% increase.