LAWYERS representing men accusing of plotting a coup against President Mugabe will next week serve the courts with a notice to apply for no further remand
, the Zimbabwe Independent has learnt.
Charles Warara who is representing the six said the notice papers will be served on Monday.
The six, Albert Mutapo, Nyasha Saluki, Oncemore Mudzurahona, Emmanuel Marara, Patson Mupfure and Shingirai Mutemachani, who have been in custody on remand since May, will appear for a routine remand hearing on Monday and their lawyers will serve the notice on the same day.
“My clients will be appearing in court on Monday for routine remand and on the same day we will serve the court with our notice for application for refusal of further remand,” Warara said on Wednesday.
“We shall be filing the notice on Monday in accordance with the court procedures on filing the application,” he said.
Warara said the actual application will be served two weeks later on October 29 after the two week notice period has elapsed.
“The application for refusal of further remand will be served on October 29, after the two weeks notice period has passed,” Warara said.
Warara added that by the time they serve the application the police should have concluded their investigations and if no new evidence crops up, then there will be no reason for the courts to refuse to grant bail. The six were arrested in May on allegations that they wanted to stage a coup and replace President Mugabe with Rural Housing minister Emmerson Mnangagwa.
However, police investigations into Mnangagwa’s involvement in the alleged coup are still to be presented before court nearly five months after the six alleged coup plotters were first arraigned before the courts.
Last week, sources in the Attorney General’s office told the Zimbabwe Independent that the investigators handling the case want the accused men to implicate two senior Airforce of Zimbabwe commanders.
Also last week the High Court gave the police two weeks to conclude their investigations in order for the courts to proceed with the bail application as at the moment there is no physical evidence to link the six accused to the alleged coup.