HomePoliticsNMB boss has no case to answer

NMB boss has no case to answer

FORMER NMB managing director Julius Makoni, deemed a fugitive from justice since 2004, does not have a case to answer and is free to return to Zimbabwe, the Zimbabwe Independent can reveal.

Makoni fled to the United Kingdom after threats were made to arrest him on charges

of violating the Exchange Control Act.

It has been established that two other former directors of NMB, James Mushore and Francis Zimuto, who also fled the country in 2004, still face charges of externalising foreign currency. It has emerged that a fourth NMB director, Otto Chekeche, who also left the country together with Makoni, Mushore and Zimuto, was never charged by the police.

Chief law officer at the Attorney-General’s office, Joseph Jagada, on Monday wrote to Makoni’s lawyers Makonese & Partners confirming that no charges were being preferred against their client.

“Please be advised that after careful consideration of the above docket, we have concluded that there is not sufficient evidence to put your client on trial,” said Jagada. “We will therefore not be preferring criminal charges against him in relation to the NMB exchange control violations which had been raised in the docket.”

Makoni left the country in December 2003 to go on holiday in France. He was scheduled to return in March but stayed in Europe after police raided NMB offices and indicated they wanted to arrest the bankers on charges of externalising foreign currency.

The other directors then slipped out of the country in February 2004. This was at a time when the government had amended the law so that police could detain those arrested of commercial crimes for 21 days without trial.
The bankers issued a statement in March 2004 pleading their innocence.

“We are being tried and found guilty in the media. We have done nothing wrong and are not fugitives from justice,” they said. — Staff Writer.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading