MaFuyane inquest shelved

Staff Writer

THE government has shelved a request for an inquest into the death of Johanna “MaFuyane” Nkomo, widow of the late nationalist and vice-president Joshua Nkomo.



=”Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif”>The government last week confirmed Thandiwe Nkomo, the first daughter of the late heroine, last year requested a full probe into the circumstances of her mother’s death at the Catholic-run Mater Dei Hospital in Bulawayo on June 4.


The permanent secretary in the Ministry of Justice, David Mangota, in written responses to the Zimbabwe Independent, said Thandiwe had written to the office of Bulawayo provincial magistrate John Masimba requesting an inquest.


“Mr Masimba referred Ms Nkomo to the police,” said Mangota. “He also wrote a letter to the officer commanding Bulawayo Province requesting them to investigate the matter.”


In her letter dated July 4 last year addressed to Masimba, Nkomo wrote: “The family is worried about the nature of her death as there are a lot of grey areas which we would like clarified.”


Masimba subsequently wrote to the police officer commanding Bulawayo province, Senior Assistant Commissioner Charles Mfandaidza, advising him to open a sudden death docket.


Mangota in his statement to the Independent said Thandiwe had not followed up the matter.


“Unfortunately the police have not, as at this stage, advised Mr Masimba’s office of the stage at which their investigations have gone,” Mangota said. “Ms Nkomo has also gone very quiet and has never followed up the matter.”


Nkomo declined to discuss the delay into the inquest. “I have no comment on that,” she said.