AFTER his blossoming political career was ruthlessly shattered by a fierce backlash to a “subversive” meeting which his party says he organised to plot a new Zanu PF command structure, Inform
ation minister Jonathan Moyo is said to be keeping his future options open.
Official sources said yesterday Moyo was playing a waiting game before he decided what to do next. Moyo was last month blocked from the Zanu PF central committee and dropped from the politburo.
Although he has also been barred from contesting in the Zanu PF primary polls tomorrow to select candidates to represent the party in the general election in March, Moyo has been hoping his fortunes could change, sources said this week.
The Zanu PF politburo meeting yesterday failed to finalise the list of candidates for the primaries, as some constituencies’ cases – including Tsholotsho – were not resolved. Moyo’s appeal, a source said, was not even discussed because Tsholotsho was reserved for women.
Zanu PF last night said the final list of candidates would be issued today.
However, deadlocks were reported in several constituencies where a number of candidates were scrambling for the Zanu PF ticket for the general election.
There has been wrangling over the constituencies after some senior party officials such as Moyo, jailed Finance minister Chris Kuruneri and Chinhoyi MP Phillip Chiyangwa, who is also in prison on espionage charges, were barred from the primaries.
The exclusion of a number of senior party officials triggered demonstrations within the party. President Robert Mugabe returned from his holiday in the Far East early this week to deal with the escalating infighting in his deeply-divided party.
Mugabe said the issue would be dealt with although candidates with pending disciplinary cases or who used money to buy votes would be barred. Moyo, whose fate was almost sealed by a meeting chaired by party chair John Nkomo in Tsholotsho on Wednesday, is said to be biding his time.
“He is keeping his options open and is likely to decide what to do next after the primary elections,” a source said.
“He has a few options such as resigning and contesting the
election as an independent candidate, leaving the country or hanging on despite the current situation.”
Efforts to get comment from Moyo were unsuccessful yesterday.
Moyo has denied a recent report in a local weekly claiming he resigned early this month. Reliable government sources said Moyo would be back at work on January 24 after his holiday.
He was expected to fly home on Wednesday from Kenya which he visited during his holiday. Moyo also visited Dubai in the United Arab Emirates where he could have been hunting for new career opportunities.
Sources said it was possible Moyo could stand as an independent candidate in Tsholotsho because he believed the avalanche of “donations” he made in the area would ensure his victory.