HUNDREDS of people are thronging a hospital in the eastern Indian city of Kolkata to see a patient holding a piece of his own skull that fell off.
Doctors say a large, dead section of 25-year-old electrician Sambhu Roy’s sk
ull came away on Sunday after severe burns starved it of blood.
“When he came to us late last year, his scalp was completely burnt and within months it came off exposing the skull,” Ratan Lal Bandyopadhyay, the surgeon who treated Roy told Reuters on Wednesday.
“Later, we noticed that the part of his skull was loosening due to lack of blood supply to the affected area, which can happen in such extensive burn cases.”
The piece came off on Sunday and hundreds of people and dozens of doctors now crowd around his bed, where he lies holding the bone.
Bandyopadhyay said the skull’s inner covering and the membrane which helps produce bone was miraculously unaffected, allowing fresh bone to grow.
“When the skull came off, I thought he will die, but we noticed a new covering on his head forming and that might have pushed the ‘dead skull’ out,” he said.
While possible, such cases are extremely rare.
Roy was injured and almost killed when he was electrocuted while repairing a high voltage wire last October.
“Doctors say a new skull covering has replaced the old one, but I am not letting go of this one,” he told Reuters.
He intends to keep his prized possession for life and not hand it over to the hospital when he leaves: “My skull has made me famous,” he says. — Reuter.