HomeBusiness DigestSolution to Parkview woes by year-end

Solution to Parkview woes by year-end

Ndamu Sandu

THE special committee appointed to find solutions to the troubled Parkview Hospital will complete its feasibility study by the end of the year, businessdigest heard this week.


The committee is chaired by chief executive officer of the now defunct Ekusileni Hospital, Daud Dube.

First Mutual Ltd (FML) spokesperson Ruth Ncube confirmed that the special committee would present findings by the end of the year.

“The committee has held meetings so far and looked at several options on how they should go forward and they will present the report by the end of the year,” Ncube said.

FML were part of the financiers alongside Zimbabwe Development Bank (ZDB), Murray and Roberts, Zimbabwe Electricity Supply Authority Pension Fund, the Commercial Union and Astra Corporation.

Ncube said the feasibility study revolves around mechanisms that would result in the completion of the project.

Parkview was built at an estimated cost of $90 million in 1997.

The hospital, with state-of-the-art facilities is at the centre of a protracted legal wrangle pitting project promoters, Universal Health Care Holdings (UHCH) and financiers led by FML.

UHCH controls about 60% of the project while institutional investors hold the remaining 40%.

The hospital has been at the centre of a tug-of-war between institutional investors in the project and UHCH led by South African-trained doctor, Vivek Solanki over its control and running.

Investors accuse Solanki of reneging on pledges made at the start of the project.

Solanki, in response accused the investors of throwing spanners into the works in a bid to facilitate its take-over.

Investors have made several bids to buy out Solanki and UHCH from the project.

Efforts to dispose of the hospital have on numerous occasions hit a brick wall after it failed to find any takers.

Health and Child Welfare minister David Parirenyatwa said although the ministry would have wanted the hospital to function, they could not take it on board since it was a private entity.

“If it was a community hospital, we would have taken it over,” Parirenyatwa said.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading

You have successfully subscribed to the newsletter

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

NewsDay Zimbabwe will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.